xConnect is a flexible and user-friendly API which enables you to connect with xDB. This makes it easy to retrieve, add and manipulate data.
This functionality thus leads to several attractive possible scenarios:
1. Make your data GDPR compliant
The General Data Protection Regulation, the new European legislation for data protection, will come into force on 25 May 2018. Compliance with GDPR is compulsory. When personal data is being processed, end users have various enforceable rights. These include:
- The right to access their own data;
- The right to correct any inaccurate information;
- The right to have their data erased.
Using xConnect, it is possible to create various modules which convert the legal conditions into a technical solution.
2. Enhance Sitecore data with external data
External data can also be used to enhance the xDB data. For example, it is possible to import and centralise customer information (or CRM data) in xDB. This data can then be used for customisation purposes. Possible scenarios include:
- Promoting products on the basis of (offline) purchasing behaviour;
- Promoting specific content on the basis of demographics, areas of interest or purchasing behaviour;
- Distinguishing jobseekers, B2B clients and press profiles from B2C consumers.
3. Export Sitecore data to external systems
On the other hand, it can also be worthwhile to export the centralised data from xDB into external systems. For example, it is easy to create behaviour-based profiles in Sitecore. This allows you to map various areas of interest and establish which content someone is (or is not) interested in. This information can be collected either implicitly (e.g. browsing behaviour) or explicitly (e.g. CRM data). The information can then be exported to Google Analytics for integration into a custom dimension. The extra data can help you to gain insights, produce a targeted remarketing strategy or gain a better understanding of your attribution channels. A similar scenario can be elaborated by sending segmented emails on the basis of xDB data, for example.
xConnect therefore allows you to centralise and aggregate information from any point of contact. This makes it possible to create a personal experience for each interaction that always revolves around the user.